Sunday, April 13, 2008

Proofreading

Or copy editing, I should say.
I have a couple of sources of "vetting" work checking texts in English written or translated by non-native speakers of English. The topics range from public administration, through art history to computer game manuals. I made no active attempt to get this work, and it is rather interesting, once I actually get down to it.
Local county councils in Albania and Ukrainian land reform aren't, admittedly, the most fascinating subjets in their own right. The interest lies in trying to work out what the authors are trying to say, and then trying to come up with an acceptable formulation in English. Or in spotting a poor choice of words in a sentence which may initially look OK, until you notice that it isn't consistent with the rest of the text, or the dictates of logic.
Often I refer to bilingual ditionaries (online) to try and uncover what the writer might have been trying to say. I take the offending word (usually a verb) in an opaque sentence, look it up in Bulgarian, Hungarian or whatever. This invariably presents several options: odmienic, prekstalcic, zazmenovat' (to invent my own vaguely slavic language) and I then look these up in turn, and get perhaps: change, exchange, transform and reform for odmienic. The one that makes the most sense can then replace the rather bizarre verb that the translator opted to select. Fortunately it isn't always necessary to go to so much trouble, but it is a good method if I get really stuck - and I don't have the author to ask what on earth they meant by "The reform of money is fulfilled at transform offices, that's why we can state the elaboration of the above mentioned system draws up several offices" or whatever nonsense they had come out with.
It gets easier with practice, and I get to know the foibles of Hungarian translators, conceited Polish academics who think they can write English and so forth. Spotting the mirror translations is fun, and the characteristic confusion caused by the mismatch between the semantic field of a word in one language and another.
I also have to do a bit of background research into public administration, European jurisprudence and so forth. Sometimes I find that a word I would never accept is actually an established feature of "EU-ese" Wikipedia helps, as do EU and UK local government websites. I strike a balance between my own stylistic preferences and any standardized jargon in the field. Often translators will come up with formulations that I onsider to be too culture specific - e.g. "high school degree". Well, degree is obviously wrong, but I'd also get rid of High School. France doesn't have high school diplomas or indeed high schools. It has baccalaureates and lycees. A explanation of what each is can help e.g. " a type of secondary school leaving certificate" but calling a baccalaureate a high school diploma is as bad as calling it A-levels. The same should go for Slovakia, Romania, or Hungary. It is just slack thinking to do otherwise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home